Sunday, December 28, 2014

Hard and Heavy 2014

When I'm not reading or writing, I'm usually listening to tons of music, and a good amount of that music for the past decade or so has been hard rock and metal--with special attention given to the latest releases. Of course no one can hear all of it--although some brave souls certainly do seem to try--but I hear a good amount, enough to arrive at a "best of" list for 2014. (Yes another list--I have a thing for them, I reckon.) Now, when I say "metal" I usually mean heavy metal (you know, the stuff that Judas Priest and Black Sabbath invented) but I do enjoy other types as well so some of the more extreme bands do sneak through when they're of what I consider to be outstanding quality. Below, I list the bands in alphabetical order along with album title and genre. Links are provided as well. Enjoy! And let me know your thoughts, or if you have any questions.

Accept - Blind Rage (heavy metal)
Ambush - Firestorm (heavy metal)
Black Magic - Wizard's Spell (heavy metal)
Cloven Hoof - Resist or Serve (heavy metal)
The Dagger - The Dagger (hard rock)
*Elvenking - The Pagan Manifesto (folk/power metal)

Falconer - Black Moon Rising (power metal)
Grand Magus - Triumph and Power (heavy metal)
Lonewolf - Cult of Steel (power/heavy metal)
Noble Beast - Noble Beast (power metal)
*The Oath - The Oath (heavy/doom metal)



Opium Warlords - Taste My Sword of Understanding (doom metal)
Portrait - Crossroads - (heavy metal)
Queen - Live at the Rainbow '74 (hard rock)
The Skull - For Those Which Are Asleep (doom metal)
Slough Feg - Digital Resistance (heavy metal)
Slugdge - Gastronomicon (death metal)
Stallion - Rise and Ride (heavy metal)
Triptykon - Melana Chasmata (doom metal)
Viathyn - Cynosure (power metal)

* image included



No comments:

Post a Comment