Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Wilbanks' List of Horror

Folks have asked me about my own list of twenty horror fiction books so, with little ado, here it is. First, allow me to say it wasn't easy and I could have gone many different ways in its creation, but in the end I went for a general balance of what I've enjoyed over the years.


Complete Works – Edgar Allan Poe
The Island of Dr. Moreau – H.G. Wells (1896)
Dracula – Bram Stoker (1897)
Ghost Stories of Edith Wharton
The Werewolf of Paris – Guy Endore  (1933)
I Am Legend – Richard Matheson (1954)
The Exorcist – William Peter Blatty (1971)
Interview with the Vampire – Anne Rice (1976)
Night Shift – Stephen King (1978)
Red Dragon – Thomas Harris (1981)



Pet Sematary – Stephen King (1983)
The Books of Blood – Clive Barker (1984/1985)
The Dark Descent – ed. by David G. Hartwell  (1987)
The Best of H.P. Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre (1987)
Lightning – Dean Koontz (1988)
Ancient Images – Ramsey Campbell (1989)
Black Angel – Graham Masterton (1991)
The Nightmare Factory – Thomas Ligotti (1996)
A Lower Deep – Tom Piccirilli (2001)
A Winter Haunting – Dan Simmons (2002)

3 comments:

  1. I'd agree strongly with about half; the other half would more reflect my own tastes. A good list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Yes, some of the choices are more personal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haven't read all of these but the ones I've read, I agree are good for such a list'

    ReplyDelete